CUPE Local 79 is currently accepting applications for two Communications & Research Coordinator roles.
Communications & Research Coordinator
Salary: $65,000 (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 79 represents over 20,000 members who work at the City of Toronto, the Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) and Bridgepoint Hospital.
Reporting to a seven-member Executive Committee and working collaboratively with other elected and appointed officers, the Communications & Research Coordinator supports the efforts of the local on behalf of its members.
- Conducts research on labour and municipal issues that affect the local’s membership, such as contracting out and labour/employment trends;
- Writes high-quality policy responses;
- Monitors and reviews City of Toronto Committee and Council agendas and writes briefing notes, deputations and submissions on behalf of the union;
- Reports to and supports directives from a seven member Executive Committee;
- Participates in meetings with the Employer, members and stakeholders;
- Familiarity with collective bargaining processes;
- Drafts and coordinates internal and external communications/correspondence;
- Performs Freedom of information requests;
- Supports content creation and management of the union’s digital platforms (website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram);
Qualifications and Skills
- Post-secondary degree in communications, public policy, political science or other related field;
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in policy, research, advocacy and communications;
- Strategic thinking, research and analytical skills; Exceptional verbal and written communications skills;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the workings of municipal government and labour issues/trends;
- Previous experience in the labour or public sector is considered an asset;
- Previous experience with, or ability to work with and establish effective working relationships with public servants, community stakeholders, government and City officials;
- Expertise working with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Conflict resolution, team building, work planning and organizing.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and manage assignments and workload.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject “CRCJP and your name” by July 8, 2018.